Healthy After-School Snack: Honey Almond Butter Popcorn (Kids Cook Monday)
|April 15, 2013||Posted by Stacy under Healthy snacks, Recipe|
My kids, like most, love popcorn. Because it’s so quick, easy and healthy, I serve it at least once a week with a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of salt. To my surprise, they have yet to get bored with it. Of course, that could change any day. So I am staying one step ahead.
Take what they like and build on it: It’s one of my mottoes when it comes to feeding kids. And that’s exactly what I did for this recipe. I coated homemade microwave popcorn with a mixture of almond butter and honey, then added a splash of ground flaxseed to create a slightly sweet, nutritious and satisfying after-school snack that delivers a healthy dose of both fiber and protein.
This is a fun one to make with young kids. They can use a measuring cup to scoop the popcorn into a brown paper bag, then push the buttons on the microwave. You also can have them help scoop the peanut butter, measure the honey, add the popcorn and stir it all together.
This recipe is equally delicious when made with peanut butter. I plan to try making it with sunflower butter next. If your kids like nuts, you could try adding a sprinkle for added texture.
Honey Almond Butter Popcorn
1/4 cup popcorn kernels (non-GMO/organic)
2 heaping tablespoons creamy almond butter (preferably organic)
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place popcorn kernels in a brown paper lunch bag. Fold over the top a few times to close the bag. Place bag in center of microwave. Microwave on high until popping slows to once every 2 to 3 seconds (anywhere from 2.5 to 5 minutes total, depending on your microwave). Remove bag immediately and open to release steam. IMPORTANT: Stay close when microwaving popcorn and be sure to not overcook it or it could burn. (Alternatively, you can cook the popcorn on a stove top with coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil.)
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine almond butter and honey. Cook in microwave for about 30 to 45 seconds or until very warm and just starting to bubble.
- Place cooked popcorn in bowl with almond butter-honey mixture. Drizzle on olive oil (omit olive oil if you cooked popcorn on stove top with oil). Stir until popcorn is well coated with almond butter-honey mixture.
- Spread popcorn on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Let popcorn dry for an hour or longer before serving; otherwise, it will result in very sticky fingers.
What’s your favorite healthy snack idea for kids? Please share it by scrolling down and leaving a comment below!